With less than 24 hours to Nigeria’s Presidential election 2015, the tension is high. Last minute campaigns can be seen everywhere with posters, adverts and down to musical videos. This election has been much awaited since the beginning of the year and right through the postponement from Feb 14 to March 28.
Tomorrow, Nigerians are going to go out en masse to cast their votes and by this time on Sunday, we all would know if our candidates won or not. I for one would be casting my vote (for the first time in my life 🙂 ) and I’m hoping it is going to be a rewarding exercise with no violence. Lets take a look at the other Presidential aspirants because one would think there are just two candidates (Buhari and Jonathan) judging from the rate of awareness they have been able to gather.
- APC :- General Muhammadu Buhari and his running mate; Prof. Yemi Osinbajo. Buhari who is a retired major General in the Nigerian Army who was Head of State of Nigeria from 31 December 1983 to 27 August 1985, is 72 years of age. He also ran unsuccessfully for the office of President in the 2003, 2007 and 2011 elections.
- PDP:- The incumbent president; Goodluck Ebele Jonathan and his running mate Nnamadi Sambo. Goodluck who is 57 years of age has been President since 2010. Before then, he was the vice-president from 2007-2010. He became the acting President for a year upon the death of then President Umaru Yar’adua.
- HDP:- Ambrose Albert and running mate; Haruna Shaba. All my effort in trying to get some information about these candidates seem to be fruitless.
- UPP (United Progressive Party):- Chekwas Okorie and running mate Bello Umar. Chekwas who an influential chief in Abia state is the National Chaiman of UPP which he co-founded after leaving APGA.
- ACPN (Allied Congress Party of Nigeria):- Alh. Ganiyu Galadima and running mate; Balarabe Ahmed.
- Kowa Party:- Prof. Comfort Oluremi Sonaiya and running mate; Saidu Bobboi. Oluremi who is 60 years of age is the only woman in the race.
- AD (Alliance for Democracy) : Rafiu Salau and running mate Prof. Clinton Cliff Akuchie. Rafiu who is 59 years of age is the National Secretary of the AD.
- UDP (United Democratic Party):- Godson Okoye and running mate; Haruna Adamu.
- ADC (African Democratic Congress) :- Dr. Nani Ibrahim Ahmad and running mate; Obianuju Murphy-Uzohue.
- NCP (National Conscience Party):- Martin Onovo and running mate; Ibrahim Mohammed.
- Action Alliance:- Tunde Anifowoshe-Kelani and running mate; Comrade Paul Ishaka Ofomile.
There they are. Only one would eventually emerge as the president of Nigeria come March 28 2015. Don’t vote blindly, know your candidate and the reason why you would vote for him/her tomorrow. Vote wisely!